Sweet & Sour Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
Everyone loves the taste of these cabbage rolls, and when I make them, I make a lot of extra meatballs. I adapted this recipe from one I found for sweet and sour stuffed green peppers.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 3 medium onions
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cooked Minute® White Rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1. Place raisins in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 2. Fill a Dutch oven three-quarters full of water; bring to a boil. Add cabbage; cook for 2-3 minutes or just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls; chop remaining cabbage and set aside. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- 3. Slice two onions and set aside; chop the remaining onion. In a large bowl, combine the chopped onion, egg, rice, carrots, salt, pepper and reserved raisins. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 4. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- 5. Place sliced onions and reserved chopped cabbage in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, on top. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice; pour over rolls.
- 6. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Yield: 6 servings.
2 cabbage rolls equals 392 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 824 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC