Sweet & Sour Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 3 medium onions
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 cup cooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Place raisins in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Fill a Dutch oven three-quarters full of water; bring to a boil. Add cabbage; cook for 2-3 minutes or just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls; chop remaining cabbage and set aside. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- Slice two onions and set aside; chop the remaining onion. In a large bowl, combine the chopped onion, egg, rice, carrots, salt, pepper and reserved raisins. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Place 1/4 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Place sliced onions and reserved chopped cabbage in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, on top. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice; pour over rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Stuffed Cabbage(1)
Sort By :
My husband requested this dish for Father's Day after skimming through my "Best of Taste of Home Magazine". I obliged, along with his help, and was glad for his suggestion. We LOVED it! The only thing we did different was add more sauce and cook extra rice to serve on the side. Also, the leftovers were every bit as good (if not better) than the day they were made. I highly recommend this recipe if you are open-minded to a slightly sweeter sauce than the typical "stuffed cabbage" recipe with an Italian tomatoe sauce.