Sweet & Sour Sausage Recipe
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the preserves, cornstarch, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and reserved juice.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the sausage, onion and pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Add sauce mixture and pineapple. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 557 calories, 34g fat (11g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1216mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein .
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Sausage
"So delicious! I recommend brown rice. Very economical.- Theresa"
"This was a quick and easy recipe. Great flavor! I added yellow squash and used fresh pineapple. Would definitely make this again!"
"Love this recipe. Quick, easy, and yummy!An added bonus is that it's a great recipe to prep in advance. I chop the meat & veggies, mix up the sauce, and cook the rice. Then, it's super quick to cook the meat & veggies, add the sauce and reheat the rice - dinner is ready in minutes!"
"This was very good I made it with chicken instead but it was still good."
"Great Meal. As I read over a recipe I think of what else would taste good. Firstly I did not use Polish Sausage but Bratwurst type of sausage(as I did not have polish sausage on hand). Added a bit of grated ginger to give some zip. Great flavour."
"I really enjoyed it...very easy and quick to fix. :)"
"This recipe is so easy to make and tastes wonderful."
"I made this for my family when the magazine 1st came to the house and they loved it. The only thing I would do differently is to add more of the sausage because there seemed a lot of sauce left over in the pan. I am making it as an appetizer to take tomorrow for the ladies Christmas party at church"
"This was very good... More on the sweet side though - might add a little extra cider vinegar and soy sauce next time for more of a tang... It was also very easy to throw together on a weeknight so I will be making it again...As for the comment below about it being bland and Asian - maybe that comment is for another recipe? Perhaps the Peanut chicken recipe that was next to this one in the magazine? Sweet and sour recipes aren't always Asian!!"
"This dish is great for quick, week night, fill up meal. This recipe will become a regular at my house."
"This is so simple and tasted awesome. Simple enough for my 13 yr old to make also"
"This was really just too bland for us. We are fortunate enough to live near some excellent and authentic Asian restaurants in the Toronto area, so we'll stick with those. It is a simple meal to prepare, but it wasn't tasty enough to make again without major changes. We really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't on par with most other Simple & Delicious recipes."