Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken Recipe
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 7-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Hot cooked rice noodles
- 1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil; drain. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- 2. Add the mushrooms, peas, red pepper, bamboo shoots and onions. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, reserved juice, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Stir in pineapple; heat through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
1 chicken thigh with 1 cup vegetable mixture (calculated without noodles) equals 348 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 775 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer