- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 7-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Hot cooked rice noodles
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil; drain. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, peas, red pepper, bamboo shoots and onions. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, reserved juice, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in pineapple; heat through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011, p52
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2011
"I highly recommend this recipe! It was very fast to prepare, VERY flavorful! (I made it with rice though, didn't want to wait for noodles to soak in water)"