Sweet & Sour Meatballs Recipe
“This is one of the first things my mother taught me to make many years ago, and it's still one of my family's favorites.” Meryl Biszick - Orlando, Florida
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water, raisins, brown sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, seasonings, egg substitute and milk. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
about 5 meatballs with 1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup rice equals 442 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 734 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Meatballs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC