Sweet & Sour Meatballs Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water, raisins, brown sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, seasonings, egg substitute and milk. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 442 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 734mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Meatballs
"The sweet and sour sauce is more tomato-y than sweet and sour and the meatballs just don't have a lot of flavor. Sorry - we just didn't care for it."