- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water, raisins, brown sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, seasonings, egg substitute and milk. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Sour Meatballs in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p61
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2012
"The sweet and sour sauce is more tomato-y than sweet and sour and the meatballs just don't have a lot of flavor. Sorry - we just didn't care for it."