- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water, raisins, brown sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, seasonings, egg substitute and milk. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Sort By :
The sweet and sour sauce is more tomato-y than sweet and sour and the meatballs just don't have a lot of flavor. Sorry - we just didn't care for it.