- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water, raisins, brown sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, seasonings, egg substitute and milk. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Carefully add to tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Sour Meatballs in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p61
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2012
The sweet and sour sauce is more tomato-y than sweet and sour and the meatballs just don't have a lot of flavor. Sorry - we just didn't care for it.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >