Sweet & Sour Carrots Recipe
- 1 pound medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1. Place 1 in. of water and carrots in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add green pepper. Cover and cook 3 minutes longer or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; add enough water to the juice to measure 3/4 cup. Set pineapple aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the pineapple juice mixture, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the reserved carrots and pineapple; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup: 123 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Carrots
"It is very good hot or cold. I gave some to a friend, & she put it over cooked rice. I took it to a luncheon, & it was a hit with "experienced" cooks."
"This was very tasty... the carrots have just the right crunch. I made this to share with friends, and I think it might actually get my husband to eat carrots more often."
"My family doesn't like veggies but htiswas OK in their aopinion 9 high praidse from them) Itis just as good cold , in lunch , too"