Sweet & Sour Carrots
“I wanted to try serving carrots differently and everyone raved over these.” You’ll love the combination of flavors and colors. Delores Romyn - Stratton, Ontario
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Place 1 in. of water and carrots in a large saucepan. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Add green pepper. Cover and cook 3 minutes longer or
- until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; add enough water to the juice to
- measure 3/4 cup. Set pineapple aside. In a large saucepan, combine
- the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in the pineapple juice mixture,
- vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the reserved
- carrots and pineapple; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 123 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 459 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,