Sweet & Sour Brussels Sprouts
This side dish has a nice sweet-and-sour balance, and bacon adds a tasty accent. Sprout lovers will definitely approve of this flavorful treatment.
—Barbara McCalley, Allison Park, Pennsylvania
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 4 packages (16 ounces each) frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute brussels sprouts and onion until
- crisp-tender. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or
- until sprouts are tender. Stir in bacon. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 126 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 351 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.