- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 4 packages (16 ounces each) frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute brussels sprouts and onion until crisp-tender. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Stir in bacon. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Brussels Sprouts
"Very tasty, but has a little too much vinegar for our tastes."
"Had to try these because I definitely was not a fan of brussel sprouts. After reading the recipe, thot these might just taste good. I was sooooo right!!!!!! I love them! My husband can't stand the smell when I'm cooking them(don't know what that's all about). He is not a big veggie eater and won't even try these. His loss. As another reviewer stated, these are even better a day or two later. I took some to a co-worker once and he said, 'You're a pretty good cook'. I usually double the batch and freeze most of them. Definitely a keeper!!!"
"These are REALLY good. I actually think they taste better after a day or two-- flavors have more time to meld or something. A great "make ahead" for Thanksgiving. I could eat a whole bowl of these and I am not a hug fan of brussel sprouts..."
"I am not a huge fan of brussels sprouts- I think they are just a "tough sell", BUT... I do like them occassionally and just made this recipe ahead of time for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I used only 2 pounds of fresh sprouts but made the rest of the recipe as called for. I am glad that I did, because there seems to be just enough sweet and sour sauce for the 2 pounds. This seems to be a take on hot german potato salad, but with brussels sprouts. I just tried them and I think they are very good (for brussels sprouts). The smell is fabulous!"
"This was easy and excellent. I made one fourth of the recipe. I only had sprouts in a "light butter sauce," so I thawed them and added the sprouts and sauce to the pan. Came out great. It was more bacon than we needed so next time will use less. Want to try this without the "sauce" and see which version we prefer."