This side dish has a nice sweet-and-sour balance, and bacon adds a tasty accent. Sprout lovers will definitely approve of this flavorful treatment. —Barbara McCalley, Allison Park, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 4 packages (16 ounces each) frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute brussels sprouts and onion until crisp-tender. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Stir in bacon. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Sour Brussels Sprouts in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p53
Reviews for Sweet & Sour Brussels Sprouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review