Sweet & Sour Beets
The slight sweet-sour flavor and hint of orange found in every bite make these beets hard to resist. They’re a must on my family’s Christmas menu.—Dottie Kilpatrick, Wilmington, North Carolina
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds whole fresh beets
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place beets in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain
- and cool slightly. Peel and quarter beets; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch
- and salt; stir in vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook
- and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in marmalade and
- butter until melted. Reduce heat to low. Add beets; heat through.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 165 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.