There’s plenty of sweet and a little heat from the chipotle pepper in this family-friendly shredded beef. Add your favorite barbecue sauce or stir things up each time you make it by varying the flavor to see which way you like it best. —David Kleiman, New Bedford, Massachusetts
- 1 beef top round roast (4 pounds)
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 16 onion rolls, split
- Cut roast in half; place in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine the barbecue sauce, water, brown sugar, chipotle pepper, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, soy sauce and seasonings. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast and cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Savory Slow-Cooked Beef in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p12
Reviews for Sweet & Savory Slow-Cooked Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review