VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup root beer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 pounds pork baby back ribs
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside 3 cups for basting and serving.
- Brush remaining sauce over ribs. Place bone side down on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill ribs, covered, over medium heat for 15-25 minutes or until browned, turning and brushing occasionally with some of the reserved sauce. Cut into serving-size pieces; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Sassy Baby Back Ribs in Taste of Home A+ Recipes from Schools Across America 2013, p152