Sweet & Salty Truffle Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Broken pretzels, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Combine water and vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For truffles, melt 1 cup dark chocolate chips in a microwave; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in cream until blended. Add crushed pretzels. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate until firm. Divide into 24 portions; shape into balls.
- 5. In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining dark chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Combine coarse sugar and kosher salt. Dip truffles in chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with sugar mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- 6. For filling, place 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring 1/4 cup cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set.
- 7. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir sugar and the remaining chocolate chips and cream over medium heat until smooth. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°.
- 8. Pour into a large bowl; stir in butter and vanilla. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until cooled. Remove bowl from ice water. Beat mixture until stiff peaks form. Spread into crust; chill completely.
- 9. For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spoon over filling. Garnish with truffles and broken pretzels if desired. Serve with any remaining truffles. Yield: 8 servings (24 truffles).
1 piece with 3 truffles equals 1,059 calories, 78 g fat (42 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 88 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.