Sweet & Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes, water, brown sugar, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth. Stir into tomato mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in evaporated milk; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaves. Garnish with fresh basil if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 133 calories, 2 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 364 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.