I live in a remote area of Alaska and have learn to cook from what I have in my pantry. After many years of trial and error, I believe I've perfected this soup. It freezes well and goes great with sourdough bread.—Virgie Scarbro, Lgiugig, Alaska
Featured In: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes, water, brown sugar, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour and water until smooth. Stir into tomato mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in evaporated milk; heat through (do not boil). Discard bay leaves. Garnish with fresh basil if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Sweet & Creamy Tomato Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p77
Reviews for Sweet & Creamy Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review