Swedish Tea Ring Recipe
My mother used to prepare this delightful tea ring in the ’40s, and it’s still a favorite today. Maraschino cherries add a festive touch. –Elsie Epp of Newton, Kansas
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, egg whites, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Combine the walnuts, cherries, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down; roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Brush with butter; sprinkle with nut mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- 4. Place seam side down on a 14-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at scant 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 6. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over tea ring. Yield: 1 ring (24 slices).
1 slice equals 196 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC