Swedish Spice Cutouts Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Slivered almonds, optional
- Frosting of your choice, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, corn syrup and molasses. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Top with almonds if desired or leave plain.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost plain cookies if desired. Yield: about 10 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 114 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Swedish Spice Cutouts
"To me, these are the perfect holiday cookies. The batch makes a lot, so there are plenty to share. I used powdered sugar icing on mine, tinted with food coloring, and I decorated some of them with cinamon imperials. They are absolutely delicious. They are a little chewy, and they smell like Christmas! I will make them every year from now on."