Swedish Spice Cutouts Recipe
My sister, Judith Landgren of White Sulphur Springs, Montana, brought this recipe with her when she came to the United States from Sweden in 1928.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:60 servings
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Slivered almonds, optional
- Frosting of your choice, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, corn syrup and molasses. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Top with almonds if desired or leave plain.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost plain cookies if desired. Yield: about 10 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 114 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC