Swedish Rye Loaves Recipe
Old-fashioned oats, brown sugar and molasses make these down-home loaves the best-tasting rye bread I've ever had. In fact, guests often ask me for the recipe. Slices are wonderful for sandwiches. -Iola Egle of Bella Vista, Arkansas
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups rye flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, molasses, 4 tablespoons butter and salt; stir in boiling water. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour and yeast. Add the molasses mixture just until moistened. Stir in rye flour and enough of the remaining bread flour to form a medium stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three portions. Shape into loaves. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaves and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Swedish Rye Loaves in Light & Tasty
Reviews for Swedish Rye Loaves(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- German Bread Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Vegetarian Bread Recipes >
- Vegetarian Recipes >
- View All Healthy Cooking Recipes >