Swedish Rye Bread Recipe
This recipe came from my mother, and it's long been a family favorite. You can make a meal of it with soup and a salad.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water. Add sugar, molasses, shortening, salt and remaining water; stir well. Add rye flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down.
- 3. Shape into four round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Yield: 4 loaves (8 slices each).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC