- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups rye flour
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup water. Add sugar, molasses, shortening, salt and remaining water; stir well. Add rye flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down.
- Shape into four round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Yield: 4 loaves (8 slices each).
Reviews for Swedish Rye Bread
Sort By :
"This is very easy and quick. It makes 4 small loaves, perfect to share and still have fresh bread for yourself. It's sweet enough to eat with butter and jam for breakfast and flavorful enough for soup, salads or sandwiches. An all around perfect bread"
"I LOVE baking with rye flour. I made this into rolls for supper, and my husband and kids loved them. I also used butter instead of shortening (which I never ever use anyway). They were delicious!"
"This is indeed very, very good."
"This was delicious!! Tastes like a bread you get at a fine restaurant. I made a half recipe, and my family ate it all at once. I made the dough in my bread machine, taking it out to shape and bake. I did have to add extra water to make a good consistancy; still looked pretty dense, even after rising extra, but baked up really soft and a little sweet. Can't wait to make this again!!!!!!!"