Swedish Rice Ring
This recipe, which originated in Sweden, is famous at church suppers with our Minnesota neighbors. It's a delicious addition at family gatherings and parties, too. I usually make a double batch because it's so good!
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh or frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
- Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside. In a small heavy saucepan,
- bring rice, milk, sugar and salt to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and cover; cook over low heat until rice is tender,
- about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat; add gelatin mixture,
- stirring until dissolved. Cover and chill until partially set.
- In a chilled bowl, whip cream until stiff; fold into chilled rice
- mixture. Spoon into a 6-cup decorative or ring mold coated with
- cooking spray. Cover and chill until set, about 3 hours. To unmold,
- loosen edges with spatula and invert onto a serving platter. Serve
- with strawberries. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 170 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.