Swedish Raspberry Almond Bars
“When I was a single mom with a young daughter and little money, my Swedish neighbor brought me a batch of these cookies at Christmas. My daughter’s 36 now, and I still make these wonderful cookies.”
North Hollywood, California
24 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and
- confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and
- mix well. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread jam over crust. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft
- peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high
- until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut and 1/2 cup almonds. Spread
- over jam. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake 18-22 minutes or
- until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with
- confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 165 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium,