- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread jam over crust. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut and 1/2 cup almonds. Spread over jam. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Swedish Raspberry Almond Bars
"These are outstanding! I have made them on several occasions and am always asked for the recipe."
"I just made these for work and they were such a hit. nest time I will have to make enough to leave some for my family."
"Made these for a church gathering, and was asked numerous times for the recipe! Delicious"
"Everyone loves this recipe. I make them for bake sales and they are the first to go. I did change one thing though, I do not melt the butter. I use a pasty blender or the food processor until the mixture is the size of a pea, like you do for most other bar cookies. These are great, you will not be disappointed."
"This is a great, out-of-the ordinary recipe, and not too sweet. I used seeded raspberry jam because that's what I had and no one cared. Watch out, the crust is kind of addictive."
"Good for a change from the many chocolate bar recipes I make -- but the chocaholic in me can't help wondering if a bit of chocolate drizzled over the top wouldn't put it 'over the top'???"
"Excellent, but almond extract (1/2 tsp.) to butter, flour, sugar mixture; also use 12 oz. seedless raspberry jam and 1 1/2 cups almonds - richer tasting and more luxurious looking."
"I made these bars for Christmas time, and I thought they turned out pretty well. The meringue topping is unique, and they aren't too sweet. While I wouldn't rate it as a favorite, it was very good, and as others have mentioned, I would definitely consider making for a cookie exchange."
"I made this easy recipe twice so far. The first time I only had seedless strawberry jam available so used that. The second time I used the raspberry jam. Both were delicious, but we preferred the raspberry. This is a simple recipe, but tastes like you worked all afternoon to create it."
"I made a sample batch last weekend for a cookie exchange I am going to this week. I need 6 dozen so was checking to see how they tasted after freezing. I made them following the recipe and they are fabulous. Can't wait to make 2 more batches and bring them to the cookie exchange. I tasted one today from the freezer and will mark the recipe "freezer friendly"."