Swedish Pecan Butter Cookies Recipe
Among our large family's Christmas Eve traditions is enjoying these delectable cookies-one of the 20 varieties my sister bakes for the holiday. They have a pleasing pecan flavor and are so buttery and delicate, they almost melt in your mouth.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling YIELD:33 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Additional chopped pecans
- Halved red maraschino cherries or red jelly of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, cream and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in finely chopped pecans. Roll into 3/4-in. balls.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg white. Dip balls in egg white, then roll in additional pecans. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Top each ball with a cherry half or fill with jelly. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 104 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC