Swedish Pastry Rings Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm evaporated milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- BROWNED BUTTER GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons evaporated milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a large another large bowl, dissolve yeast and remaining sugar in warm water. Add milk, egg and crumb mixture; beat until well blended. Stir in currants. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Line two baking sheets with foil and grease the foil; set aside. For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; stir in pecans.
- 3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 7-in. rectangle; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- 4. Place loaves seam side down on prepared pans; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 6. For glaze, in a small saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over pastry rings. Yield: 2 pastry rings (12-16 servings each).
1 piece equals 129 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Swedish Pastry Rings
"I made this from a TOH Best Holiday Gatherings EVERYONE loved this so much both rings were gone in about 10 min I was concerned that the dough didn't seam to rise as much as I thought it should but it came out just fine."