Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 8 slices white bread, torn
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add bread; mix gently and let stand for 5 minutes. Add beef, onion, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well (mixture will be soft). Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meatballs, a few at a time, in shortening. Place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, stir soups and milk until smooth; pour over meatballs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 399 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1065mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Swedish Meatballs
"Very easy and quite good. I make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze. Then I use them on fall camping trips. I put them in a dutch oven and cover with coals and everyone thinks I spent all day cooking."
"the meatballs are excellent (five Star )the sauce mix is ok ,a nice recipe , i will make it again and change the sauce mix a bit , a must make for any kitchen"
"I'm sorry, I haven't even made the recipe but I have to rate it 1 star due to the fact that you call it Swedish meatballs and using a white gravy!!! Being a Swede and I have even asked so many others since I was appalled when coming to the States and seeing how they kept having Swedish meatballs at the store and in a white gravy. We serve them with a brown thin gravy if we have gravy with them. For example how IKEA serve them"
"While the flavor was good, I didn't care for the mushiness of the meatball. My husband loved it. I will probably not make this dish again."
"My husband saw this recipe and asked me to make it. He loves it!!!"
"I loved how tender these meatballs are. I have taken the meat part of the dish to add spices and made meatloaf, a very tender meatloaf, that my husband says is netter than his mothers."
"it was okay. I've tasted better swedish meatball recipes."
"I made this Monday, the meatballs were good but the sauce was not so good. Really don't know what I would do to improve it."
"My family said that they kinda tasted like meatloaf minus ketchup and add gravy...very good though!"
"These meatballs are good. We had them over egg noodles. I will make them again for church fellowship since this recipe makes a big pan. Perhaps next time I will add a pinch of nutmeg for that Swedish Meatball taste I feel it was missing. The sauce is soup and that is what it tastes like. It's soup over good meatballs.
"A wonderful cold weather favorite! This one pleases the whole family. My teen daughter requests this one frequently. This recipe is easy enough for a teen to make, but it does require a fair amount of time. Worth the effort!"
"Haven't seen a swedish meatball recipe this good for years!! I'm picky I guess when it comes to meatballs, but I loved these!!!! As did my dad!! I made them for Fathers Day dinner!!"