Swedish Meatballs Recipe
I can still remember how happy it made my mom to cook something special for a family gathering. My parents were ranchers all their lives, so almost every main dish featured beef. This is Mom's recipe for tender Swedish meatballs with a thick savory gravy. -Donna Hanson, Lusk, Wyoming
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:8-10 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 8 slices white bread, torn
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add bread; mix gently and let stand for 5 minutes. Add beef, onion, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well (mixture will be soft). Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meatballs, a few at a time, in shortening. Place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, stir soups and milk until smooth; pour over meatballs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 399 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 164 mg cholesterol, 1,065 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC