Swedish Meatball Soup Recipe
To me, this is a very comforting, filling, homey soup. I especially like cooking it during winter months and serving it with hot rolls, bread or muffins. —Deborah Taylor, Inkom, Idaho
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg; add 1/3 cup cream, bread crumbs, onion and 1 teaspoon of salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in butter in batches. Remove from the pan; set aside. Drain fat.
- 3. Add flour, bouillon, pepper, garlic salt and remaining salt to pan; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add potatoes and meatballs.
- 4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in peas and remaining cream; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 366 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Swedish Meatball Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC