Swedish Limpa Recipe
This is a traditional Scandinavian Christmas recipe which I bake every year. It is so yummy! When cutting the slices, cut on angle for larger slices.—Mrs. Barbara Adam, Swift Current, Saskatchewan
- 9-1/2 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 8 cups flour, yeast and orange peel. In a large saucepan, heat the corn syrup, water, orange juice and butter to 120°-130°; stir until butter is melted. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky dough). Do not knead.
- 2. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into four round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 loaves (10 slices each).
1 slice equals 179 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC