Swedish Limpa Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon aniseed, lightly crushed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups rye flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, molasses, butter, orange peel, salt, aniseed and boiling water; stir until brown sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Stir in cold water; let stand until mixture cools to 110° to 115°.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in molasses mixture; mix well. Add
- 3. all-purpose flour and 1 cup rye flour. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining rye flour to form a stiff dough.
- 4. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two oval loaves. Grease two baking sheets and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Place loaves on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Preheat oven to 350° . With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across top of each loaf. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks; brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 186 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Swedish Limpa Bread
"Great recipe. However, I used about 1/2 the orange peel (the equivalent of one large orange) , and closer to 3 cups of rye flour, and it was perfect!"