- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
- half. Shape into two oval loaves. Grease two baking sheets and
- sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Place loaves on prepared pans. Cover
- and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° . With a sharp knife, make four shallow
- slashes across top of each loaf. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden
- brown. Remove to wire racks; brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (12
- slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 186 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.