- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Add the potatoes, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and ginger; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm doughnuts in sugar if desired. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSwedish Doughnuts
"Just wondering if I could use the donut machine with this recipe rather than rolling. Thanks"
"have a recipe for yeast doughnuts"
"very good hu enjoyed"
"I thought they would be greasy, but after they sit for a while/ very good!! will make again, and again.."
"I have made this recipe many times. It is my favorite doughnut recipe! EXCELLENT!"
"This makes a nice cake doughnut. It mixed up easily, and the doughnuts plumped up nicely when they were fried. This does make a LOT of doughnuts, so I think next time I will cut the recipe in half."
"awesome recipe!! I finally had some left over mash potatoes and thought.. What the heck.. Wow! what a surprise.They are delish.The recipe was really easy too. I didn't wait to roll them out and they rolled perfect.No need to chill. I'll be making these donuts again.."
"Excellent recipe, delicious and easy! I didn't even have to freeze it and it turned out very good. I sprinkled powdered sugar on the warm doughnuts. The best thing about this recipe is the absence of yeast and the time to let the dough rise. These are great for anytime of the day."
"Best doughnuts we've ever made--fluffy and tasty. I used instant mashed potatoes and only chilled for 20 minutes. The dough was so easy to work with."