One day, my father got a hankering for doughnuts and asked me to make him some. I ended up trying these. Dad—and everyone else—loved the results. They come out so golden and plump. —Lisa Bates, Dunham, Quebec
30 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook:: 5 min./ batch
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Add the potatoes, buttermilk,
- butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda,
- salt, nutmeg and ginger; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut
- with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or
- deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.