Swedish Cream Apple Rings Recipe
My mother made this classic coffee cake for every important holiday...Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. Now, I carry on the tradition and as I make them, I remember my mom who was a lot like this recipe, soft and tasteful, but full of surprises. The overnight rise, let's you make the dough in advance so your morning won't be hectic.—
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cinnamon-sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream, milk and egg yolks; stir until mixture forms a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Punch down dough; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into a 13x7-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with half of filling.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm tea rings. Yield: 2 rings (6 slices each).
Originally published as Swedish Cream Apple Rings in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p54
Reviews for Swedish Cream Apple Rings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review