- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into
- nine equal portions. Shape each portion into a 14-in. rope. For each
- loaf, braid three ropes together on a greased baking sheet; pinch
- ends to seal. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture
- is crumbly. Sprinkle over braids. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or
- until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; brush
- some over loaves. Bake for 5 minutes. Brush with remaining glaze;
- bake 5-10 minutes more. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- Yield: 3 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 207 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.