Swedish Cinnamon Twists Recipe
These tender twists are fantastic with fresh-brewed coffee. Although the recipe makes a big batch, the treats never seem to last long at our house.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt, baking soda and 5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
- 4. Fold in half lengthwise, forming a 16-in. x 4-1/2-in. rectangle; pinch edges to seal. Cut into 4-1/2-in. x 1-in. strips; twist each strip two or three times. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm twists. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 185 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC