- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt, baking soda and 5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
- Fold in half lengthwise, forming a 16-in. x 4-1/2-in. rectangle; pinch edges to seal. Cut into 4-1/2-in. x 1-in. strips; twist each strip two or three times. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm twists. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
Originally published as Swedish Cinnamon Twists in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p14
Reviews for Swedish Cinnamon Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2014
"These cinnamon twists are as delicious as they look!!!!"