Swedish Cardamom Rolls Recipe
Raisins, walnuts, orange peel and cardamom give these golden, tender sweet rolls real holiday appeal. Guests are often surprised to learn they're homemade!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional raisins
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, orange peel, cardamom, salt and 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in raisins, walnuts and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle.
- 4. Cut in half to form two 12-in. x 5-in. rectangles. Cut each into twelve 5-in. x 1-in. strips; roll strips into 6-in. ropes.
- 5. To shape rolls, place two ropes on a greased baking sheet to form an X. Coil each end toward the center. Press a raisin into the center of each coil. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 154 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Swedish Cardamom Rolls
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC