Swedish Cardamom Braids Recipe
"Swedish people love their coffee—especially with this classic coffee cake. The recipe came from my father's aunt, and I can remember my mother crushing cardamom seeds to make it. Back then, you couldn't buy cardamom already ground." —Harriet Meola, Mauldin, South Carolina
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, egg yolks, cardamom, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. Divide each half into three portions. On a lightly floured surface, shape each portion into a 16-in.-long rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush warm loaves with butter. Combine the pecans, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 175 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Swedish Cardamom Braids
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC