Swedish Apple Pie Recipe
This hearty and decadent apple pie serves up homemade flavor in every bite. The blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flours offers more fiber and less fat than traditional pie crust. This is perfect with coffee or as an after dinner treat. —Sarah Klier, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 174 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC