Swedish Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 174 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Swedish Apple Pie
"This is a great, simple to put together, can't mess up recipe. I was concerned, for a moment, when I mixed the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, as I didn't think that they would possibly coat all of the apple that I had just chopped. But once i added the apples in and started mixing, it coated them perfectly. No complaints from my family. PS- I didn't tell them it was 'good' for them."
"This recipe is yummy, it just turns out more like an apple crisp, I would say. My husband is on Weight Watchers & this has only 5 points per slice, so that's quite convenient!~ Theresa"
"Very good served warm with a scoop of low fat ice cream."
"For a healthy dessert, this is one of my new favorites. I was worried about how thick the dough was, but once I started mixing in the apples, their moisture loosened up the dough and made a nice batter. For leftovers we poured a little milk over the top to make it more moist. Great with some light whipped cream also."
"I just posted this recipe step-by-step on my website. Check it out! It's delicious!http://www.stacymakescents.com/?p=2274"
"I found the dough a bit dry. As a previous member suggested, I also added a splash of milk and that brought the dough together just fine. I had no expectations for this recipe, but it was very good. I used one large apple and used 1/4 cup walnuts. The dough baked up and around the apples beautifuly. I will put this in my recipe box for something quick and tasty. Thanks for a good recipe!"
"This is very yummy, and the whole wheat flour adds a gorgeous nutty flavour to it. I didn't have enough moisture with one egg to bring the dry ingredients together but a tiny splash of low fat milk made it work - and it still came out of the oven perfect."
"This recipe was perfect everything came together just like the instructions say. Tasty and delightful. We added a 1/2 cup of fat free Vanilla Ice Cream on top...yummy...will make again....thanks for sharing."