- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Swedish Apple Pie
"This is a great, simple to put together, can't mess up recipe. I was concerned, for a moment, when I mixed the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, as I didn't think that they would possibly coat all of the apple that I had just chopped. But once i added the apples in and started mixing, it coated them perfectly. No complaints from my family. PS- I didn't tell them it was 'good' for them."
"This recipe is yummy, it just turns out more like an apple crisp, I would say. My husband is on Weight Watchers & this has only 5 points per slice, so that's quite convenient!~ Theresa"
"Very good served warm with a scoop of low fat ice cream."
"For a healthy dessert, this is one of my new favorites. I was worried about how thick the dough was, but once I started mixing in the apples, their moisture loosened up the dough and made a nice batter. For leftovers we poured a little milk over the top to make it more moist. Great with some light whipped cream also."
"I just posted this recipe step-by-step on my website. Check it out! It's delicious!http://www.stacymakescents.com/?p=2274"
"I found the dough a bit dry. As a previous member suggested, I also added a splash of milk and that brought the dough together just fine. I had no expectations for this recipe, but it was very good. I used one large apple and used 1/4 cup walnuts. The dough baked up and around the apples beautifuly. I will put this in my recipe box for something quick and tasty. Thanks for a good recipe!"
"I was disappointed with this recipe. There didn't seem to be enough batter to properly mix with the apples. It definitely turned out more like cake than pie and if that's the case, I'd rather make an apple cake next time."
"This is very yummy, and the whole wheat flour adds a gorgeous nutty flavour to it. I didn't have enough moisture with one egg to bring the dry ingredients together but a tiny splash of low fat milk made it work - and it still came out of the oven perfect."
"This recipe was perfect everything came together just like the instructions say. Tasty and delightful. We added a 1/2 cup of fat free Vanilla Ice Cream on top...yummy...will make again....thanks for sharing."