This hearty and decadent apple pie serves up homemade flavor in every bite. The blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flours offers more fiber and less fat than traditional pie crust. This is perfect with coffee or as an after dinner treat. —Sarah Klier, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Swedish Apple Pie in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p63
Reviews for Swedish Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review