My family loves the subtle taste of anise, so it's no surprise these pretty twists are often requested. Because anise appears in the dough and topping, everyone gets a doubly delicious dose of their favorite herb.—Geraldine Grisdale, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed aniseed
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed aniseed
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt, aniseed and 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; roll into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut into three 16-in. x 3-in. pieces. Cut each piece into sixteen 3-in. x 1-in. strips. Twist each strip; place 1-1/2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Combine topping ingredients; brush over twists.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Swedish Anise Twists in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p41
Reviews for Swedish Anise Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review