Swedish Almond Rusks
Not too sweet, these nutty, crunchy cookies go well with a cup of hot coffee...and travel well in care packages, too!
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating
- well after each addition. Stir in extract. Sift together flour,
- cardamom and soda; add alternately with sour cream to creamed
- mixture. Fold in almonds. Divide dough into six parts; shape into
- rolls (like refrigerated cookie dough). Place three each on two
- greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes or
- until light brown. Remove rolls to cutting board. Using a sharp
- knife, slice rolls diagonally 1/2 in. thick. Place cookies on
- sheets; return to oven and bake until light brown. Cool; store in
- tightly covered containers. Yield: 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 184 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.