- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Red and yellow liquid food coloring
- 2 medium lemons, sliced and halved
- 2 medium oranges, sliced and halved
- 2 blueberries
- 1 large strawberry
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 8-in. round baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a 12- to 14-in. serving plate.
- In a bowl, combine whipped topping and lemon and orange peels. Frost top and sides of cake. Place drops of red and yellow food coloring randomly over frosting. With a spatula, blend colors randomly.
- Alternate lemon and orange slices around base of cake to form rays. Add two orange slices and blueberries for eyes. Slice the strawberry; use two center slices for the mouth, placing them on the cake with straight edges touching. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Susie Sunshine Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p36
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Susie Sunshine Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review