- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Red and yellow liquid food coloring
- 2 medium lemons, sliced and halved
- 2 medium oranges, sliced and halved
- 2 blueberries
- 1 large strawberry
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 8-in. round baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a 12- to 14-in. serving plate.
- In a bowl, combine whipped topping and lemon and orange peels. Frost top and sides of cake. Place drops of red and yellow food coloring randomly over frosting. With a spatula, blend colors randomly.
- Alternate lemon and orange slices around base of cake to form rays. Add two orange slices and blueberries for eyes. Slice the strawberry; use two center slices for the mouth, placing them on the cake with straight edges touching. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Susie Sunshine Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p36
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Susie Sunshine Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 17, 2010
"I made this for my daughters beach theme August birthday party and it was a big hit. Easy to make and tasted great."