Susie's Hot Mustard
My husband enjoys spreading this bold, robust mustard on anything that needs an extra "bite" of flavor.
32 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 can (4 ounces) ground mustard
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed, optional
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and vinegar. Cover and let stand at
- room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan, whisk the eggs, sugar, molasses, honey and
- mustard mixture. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is
- thickened and a thermometer reads 160°, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- Stir in mayonnaise and mustard seed if desired. Cover and
- refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
- Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 148 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.