Susie's Dark Chocolate-Coconut Pie Recipe
If you love chocolate and coconut, this pie’s for you. Surprisingly easy to make, the only difficult part is waiting for it to cool in the fridge.—Susan Graverson, Oneida, New York
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1-1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Toasted flaked coconut
- 1. Combine the cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until crust is set. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in coconut milk and whole milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, butter and extracts until butter is melted. Pour into cooled crust. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 4. Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in butter. Cool until slightly thickened. Spread over filling. Garnish with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC