- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1-1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Toasted flaked coconut
- Combine the cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until crust is set. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in coconut milk and whole milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, butter and extracts until butter is melted. Pour into cooled crust. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in butter. Cool until slightly thickened. Spread over filling. Garnish with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Susie's Dark Chocolate-Coconut Pie in Country Woman October/November 2012, p34
Reviews for Susie's Dark Chocolate-Coconut Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 2, 2014
"So simple and yummy! If you like dark chocolate and coconut, you'll love this!"
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2012
"So delicious! It's a very heavy, rich pie that is sure to delight everyone at a family gathering. Absolutely wonderful, and not too hard to make! Loved it!"