- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1-1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- Combine the cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until crust is set. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in coconut milk and whole milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, butter and extracts until butter is melted. Pour into cooled crust. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in butter. Cool until slightly thickened. Spread over filling. Garnish with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forSusie's Dark Chocolate-Coconut Pie
"So simple and yummy! If you like dark chocolate and coconut, you'll love this!"
"So delicious! It's a very heavy, rich pie that is sure to delight everyone at a family gathering. Absolutely wonderful, and not too hard to make! Loved it!"